Monday, April 16, 2012

Chair Card Extra Credit: Michael Thonet






        In 1842, Thonet recieved a patent for his steam bending process( Miller, 262).It was in 1859,  that  Thonet released what would be his one of his most famous pieces Chair No. 14 ( Fiell, 1000 Chairs, 44). In fact, Chair No. 14 still to this day  is noted as being one of the most successful industrial designed products of it's time (Fiell, Chairs, 148).
Chair No. 14






      It is believed that it was the simplified form of his furniture that allowed Thonet to successfully produce his design on a mass- production level (Fiell, Chairs, 148). As a designer, I feel that to be successful I must try to simply my design to form a design that conveys one clear concept. Simplicity is something that I continue to struggle with as a new designer.I  also love that the the chairs inner movement forces my eye to glide among the smooth curves of the furniture. As a recent novice with the wood shop I can appreciate the seamless craft associated with ever one of Thonet's designs.







Work Cited

  • Fiell, Petter and Charlotte, 1000 Chairs, Benedikt Taschen Verlag Gmbh, 2000.
  • Fiell, Petter and Charlotte, Chairs, Taschen Gmbh, 2001.
  • Miller, Judith, Furniture, Dorling Kindersley Limited, 2005.
  •  http://image.architonic.com/imgObj/phillips1203_sat/3101_0005_1_lg_sq.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment